Triangular Rhombic Torus

Built something nice? Let the other Geomag fans see what you've done.

Re: Triangular Rhombic Torus

Postby gmtrcply » Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:12 pm

Eric wrote:First time I see geomag structures with spheres that big! :o :D
Well done! 8-)

Originally, I bought the spheres of 30mm and more for different Large/Giant Stick sets intended for toddlers. For obvious reasons, these sets come with lightweight hollow tin spheres. But I like the shiny silver spheres better.

Eric wrote:Unbelievable it doesn't collapse without geomag pro-L.

It depends a lot on the build and the angles at which the forces act. Lateral forces are always critical, and the larger the sphere, the shallower the calotta that enters the rim of the rods.

With this build, the acute angles lead to steep rods between the layers. The weight of a sphere is supported by one or two rods, and the pull force of the middle layer corner spheres is distributed on three rods.

Also, you can initially build the corner elements as Triangular Bipyramids, and remove the cross-bar when the work is done.

I hope that you find spheres of appropriate size (22-35mm), so you can try this build yourself.

PRO-L is a good hint. Usually, I don't use these, because the magnetic strength is not that much more, and the slightly higher weight almost compensates that. But with large spheres, the PRO-L might be helpful.
I only have 20 of the 50mm spheres, but I'll definitely try to build an Order-2 or Order-3 version with PRO-L rods and 45mm Spheres. A Masterbox of 144 would even be enough rods for Order-4.
gmtrcply

Postby gmtrcply » Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:17 pm

Eric wrote:Unbelievable it doesn't collapse without geomag pro-L.

So, here's a comparison of Order-2 builds. Each one uses 24 Spheres and 72 Rods.

The large structure: 58mm Pro-L Rods, 45mm solid 100Cr6 Spheres. Calculated weight: ~9.6kg.

Front right, blue: 35mm Spheres, the largest sphere diameter for the 27mm Rods. Total weight: 4535g
Front left, yellow: 22mm Spheres, the smallest safe sphere diameter for the 27mm Rods. Total weight: 1379g.

Regarding the Pro-L Rods, I can't say that building is significantly easier than with the regular 58mm Rods.
gmtrcply

Postby Peter Jepsen » Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:04 am

Welcome to the Forum gmtrcply!
We're in a bit of disarray, I have to excuse us on behalf of being the first user.
The forum does not have financial support from the Geomag company, so hosting is in a bit of a mess currently.
Peter Jepsen

Postby gmtrcply » Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:50 pm

Peter Jepsen wrote:We're in a bit of disarray, ( ... ) , so hosting is in a bit of a mess currently.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Eric and Wagyx alread took care of me, so everyhting is fine.

The only thing that puzzled me was that there are so many "broken" images. But that seems to be part of the mess you mentioned.
gmtrcply

Postby gmtrcply » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:12 pm

Here's another build using short rods and large spheres, next to the Order-2 from a previous build.

Order-2: 72 Geomag Rods, Blue, 27mm; 24 Spheres 100Cr6, 35mm; weight: 4535g
Order-3: 108 Geomag Rods, Red, 27mm; 36 Spheres 100Cr6, 35mm; calculated weight: ~6.8kg

In spite of the high total weight, both can be carried around, if handled with care.

gmtrcply

Previous

Return to Show off your creations