form transition catalog?

form transition catalog?

Postby gregconquest » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:51 pm

I've been trying to make my first major project: The Tokyo Sky Tree. I don't have enough pieces currently, so I've just made individual sections with the intention of joining them all together later (and I may have to photoshop the final product...). One challenge that I keep encountering is transitioning from one shape to another. I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.

While it might be fun to go through the trial and error of doing this, I'm thinking that accelerated learning facilitated by a catalog of basic form transitions would be helpful and get people on to greater challenges.

One example. If I have a basic hexagon with a radius of one geomag bar, what transitional shapes would I go through to make a square shape approximately the same size? (this particular problem is not the issue; it is just an example.)

If there is a list of such transitions, could someone please point me in the right direction? If there isn't, I might get the ball rolling on this and begin one myself.

Greg
gregconquest

Re: form transition catalog?

Postby Peter Jepsen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am

Hello Greg and welcome to the forum. I read your other post with interest.

In fact I do not think such a collection of transitions does exist. Obviously Rafael Millán [ http://textodigital.com/P/GG/bindex.php ] must have had to solve quite a few transitions as well as other fans, but a 'collection' I don't think exists.
The closest to a 'collection/documentation' that I know of is the Geomag Wiki [ http://geomag.wikia.com ].

Any others? Guys/girls?
Peter Jepsen

Re: form transition catalog?

Postby gregconquest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks, Peter :D I may try to compile the info in the wiki. That would be the natural place for such.
gregconquest

Return to Construction challenges, instructions and projects