Request for comments, video instructions, 120 rods

Request for comments, video instructions, 120 rods

Postby Peter Jepsen » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:45 am

Hello all, (and happy 1st of Advent 2023)

Backstory:
I'm in the process of creating 13 detailed video instructions for a line of sets called "Compact Masterbox" with 120 rods. They come in 10 colour variations but are identical.
I have to create detailed step-by-step print and video instructions for 13 models I've created for the set.
We already have a booklet included in the set but because of size constraints I've made very basic instructions that assume the builder is capable of building, ie. not a novice.
But in case someone has difficulty, we've included a QR code for each model that will bring you to more detailed help: step-by-step instructions for printing and also video.

I've established a graphical style that lets me create the PDF for print as well as video, from the same assets.
So I'm not asking much for comments about the style, what I'm interested in is the timing.

The flow of the video is presentation, step-by-step, and reward.
You pause the video for each step, which also shows you how many pieces you need for that step.
I originally made the timing 'window' for each pause double the lenght you see now, but my colleagues thought is was too slow and boring to watch.
I sped it up to accomodate them, but still, it's not a video to watch for entertainment, that's not the main scope of the sequence.

These are the two models I've done so far, importantly they can also be built with the short Geomag rods
So, my question: How do these feel? Too fast? Too slow? Confusing? Easy to follow?

It takes some time to create each sequence (I do all the work from scratch), so I'd like to share and hear some (hopefully positive) feedback before I go on with the remaining 11 other models.
I hope some of you will find the time to sit down and have a go and hopefully enjoy yourself.

Peter

Video 1, Link: https://vimeo.com/887321635/f1a4e07dae
01.00 copy.png

Video 2, Link: https://vimeo.com/889120641/bb37d3c75d
02.00 copy.png

All the models to eventually be done (The QR codes are still unassigned)
01.99 QR Page.png
Peter Jepsen

Re: Request for comments, video instructions, 120 rods

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:24 pm

Hi Peter,

Nice idea that "Compact Masterbox" :)
Great job! As usual ;-)

I get a 'page not found' error with both links to the vids.

See you.
Eric

Postby Peter Jepsen » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:52 am

Shame on me for not testing the links properly, thank you Eric!

Links have been updated and checked now, I hope you'll come back and give it another try.

Here's the Compact Masterbox 2024 catalogue entry by the way..
2024 Geomag Catalogue - Compact Masterbox 192pcs.jpg
Peter Jepsen

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:48 am

Thank you for sharing this.
It's a great move!
Packaging and storage were clearly a weak point of the short rods (torn packaging cardboard at first opening, polystyrene too large and easily damaged).
You now seem to have designed a very practical, compact and easily transportable solution.
I see three different types of boxes? Only rods, Only spheres, mix of the two.
It almost makes me want to buy long rods. Will it exist in geomag pro (more powerful magnets)?
I dream of packaging like this for my short rods. I still haven't found a storage solution that I'm completely happy with.

In my opinion, the timing of the videos is perfect.
The steps are well detailed. You have time to pause the video at each step.
And I really like the view of the final result with the model moving so you can see if you haven't made a mistake.
For me, these tutorials are perfect, for young children as well as for adults.
Good job!
Eric

Postby Tychi » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:05 pm

I agree with Eric. I would only add that I would also like a different color of added balls. It would be clearer for children.
Tychi

Postby Peter Jepsen » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:54 am

Thank you for your comments people, it is much appreciated. :)

Tychi, you mean like this?
02.19 Special white spheres copy.png

I had already considering what you are asking, with the white spheres as well as rods for these instructions, but until now I have never used that for any 'public' instructions, only for internal stuff.
That reflection is almost as synonymous with 'Geomag brand' as the rod and logo are.

I will create a version of the blue bridge with the white spheres so you and Eric can evaluate it.
Agan thank you Eric and Tychi.
Peter Jepsen

Postby Wagyx » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:18 pm

Hi Peter,

Could not help but make the 3D versions myself: see attachment.
I have found some variation about the central model.
Thanks for showing me the model with the three icosahedra around Stewart G3, I did not know the angles would match.

Apart from that, the video looks nice, this is very Lego-like.
I would love some more animation with the new rods coming from the sides or the top and connecting to the model with a clicking sound effect like what you can found on some YT videos. These feels very satisfying and hypnotizing.

For models that are composed of repetition of identical connected modules like the two arcs, have you considered making the modules first and then assembling them ?
Attachments
request video instruction 120 rods.zip
(86.01 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Wagyx

Postby Peter Jepsen » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:02 am

Hello Wagyx. As always impressive how you can replicate any model that has been thrown out there :)

For models that are composed of repetition of identical connected modules like the two arcs, have you considered making the modules first and then assembling them ?

Oh yes, I do that myself and I would have done that if I were to teach someone in person how to do those models. Especially if it was something to build later in a window or at a fair, because it is easier to delegate or pre-build and that saves time. For the blue-bridge model I even have a clever way to build the module as a tube and then transforming it to that special shape by turning a single rod 90 degrees.

Booklet GEOMAG Compact Masterbox page 9-10.png

The original booklet instruction for the blue bridge hints at using modules if you pay attention, but for the step-by-step-by-step (which we seldom make) I have to assume that the person knows nothing about Geomag and so talking about stuff like polarity and modules is out of the question unless I absolutely cannot avoid it.
In the bridge model where strong polarity is important, I try to sneak in the good polarities without you even knowing it by forcing you to match up the ends of rods before the sphere is added, I don't know if any of you experienced builders noticed the detail. We're so used to it so maybe we don't even notice. :D

Peter
Peter Jepsen

Return to Construction challenges, instructions and projects