Bonkers! An observation about Geomag's approach to marketing

Bonkers! An observation about Geomag's approach to marketing

Postby twelvebears » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:25 pm

As someone new to the whole Geomag thing, Geomag's distribution and marketing methods leave me sratching my head.

Is it some amazing new marketing technique where making your product difficult to buy is a GOOD thing?

Geomag is a WONDERFUL and engrosing product, which everyone (particularly the guys) who visits my house, find impossible to leave alone, and yet it's SOOOO hard to buy that it defies belief!

I live in the UK, and as far as I can tell, there is no proper UK distribution whatsoever. Just a few random bits from various small re-sellers, which are usually completely out of stock. As for wanting to be able to actually select the sets you really want? Well that's just a dream! It's a case of finding what you can, scouring eBay, or trying to get one of the small sellers to special order stuff.

Seriously, how hard could it be for there to be a proper UK distributor with an on-line site where you can actually buy the sets/parts you want?

If Geomag don't see the UK as much of a market, perhaps that could be because trying to buy things here is like looking for rocking horse poo made from hen's teeth. :(

Sorry to rant, but it just frustrates me that such a great product should be so stupidly hard to get hold of. EVERYONE loves it and asks where they can get some, and when I tell them what I had to do to get mine, they all ask me if the Geomag marketing department have gone mad.....
twelvebears

Re: Bonkers! An observation about Geomag's approach to marketing

Postby AFKAN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:39 pm

I've got a lot of my stuff from ebay but also this lot http://www.thegeomagstore.com/

:)
AFKAN

Postby cappells » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:29 pm

Certainly Plastwood dropping Geomag from their production line had an impact, at a time when Geomag was just starting to ramp up in popularity, and which caused the Geomag owners time to get back on their feet, as far as I understand. I also wonder if the Switzerland facility is not as large as the old Plastwood Italy facility was, thus they are having trouble keeping up with worldwide demand.

Or, the more reasonable explanation is Peter Jepsen has been hoarding them all. :D
cappells

Postby Peter Jepsen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:31 am

Ssh! My 1:1 scale castle is almost complete! :)
Peter Jepsen

Postby twelvebears » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:42 pm

cappells wrote:Certainly Plastwood dropping Geomag from their production line had an impact, at a time when Geomag was just starting to ramp up in popularity, and which caused the Geomag owners time to get back on their feet, as far as I understand. I also wonder if the Switzerland facility is not as large as the old Plastwood Italy facility was, thus they are having trouble keeping up with worldwide demand.

Or, the more reasonable explanation is Peter Jepsen has been hoarding them all. :D

Actually having done a bit more Googling, the penny dropped with me when the problems with Magnetix were pointed out to me. Being a step-parent who skipped the small child stage, I had no idea about this, but it makes sense, even if the associations are unfair.

As far as I'm concerned, Geomag is the ultimate 'Big Boys Toy' and I'm crossing everything I can (not my fingers, need that for the Geomag!) that some sensible (and large) UK company will pick up Geomag properly and start distributing again.

Amusingly, I looked at the two obvious 'Big Boys Toys' sites (Firebox and I Want One Of Those), and although neither of them had Geomag, Firebox DID have a 10min video ABOUT Geomag! Hopefully one of them can be persuaded to start retailing it again.
twelvebears

Postby Peter Jepsen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:54 pm

I remember Firebox selling Geomag in the past. There was a ton of user-submitted photos too.
Peter Jepsen

Postby AFKAN » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Yep it was Firebox that started me on the slippery slope :lol:

I beginning to think a drug habit would be cheaper than my Geomag one :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFKAN

Postby cappells » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes, the Magnetix scare certainly enters into the equation, and the unfair association probably has made some retailers skittish.
cappells

Postby twelvebears » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:35 pm

cappells wrote:Yes, the Magnetix scare certainly enters into the equation, and the unfair association probably has made some retailers skittish.

Yeah, it's really weird to be in the position of being ready and willing to spend a big chunk of cash on something (have accepted it's going to be several hundred £s) and actually NOT be able to spend the money.....

I've tried e-mailing Geomag directly without reply and can't find any online retailers (UK or EU based) with the sets I want. :( I've got one possible avenue (The Geomag Store), but even that's not certain.

It's VERY frustrating.
twelvebears

Postby AFKAN » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm

I have to admit I missed the Magnetix scare :shock:

I totally agree with you Steve, it's almost impossible to get Geomag in the UK at the moment :cry:
AFKAN

Next

Return to General Geomag discussions