Geomag Kids good gift for 8-year-old boy?

Geomag Kids good gift for 8-year-old boy?

Postby toylover » Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm

I just discovered Geomag Kids in my son's Kindergarten classroom, and I am contemplating giving a set to my nephew (American), who is 8 years old. Are these sets (e.g. Color; Panels; Glow) appropriate/desirable for 8-year-old boys who like to build and are creative? Do not want to waste my money, and this kid has a lot. Any recommendations on particular sets?
toylover

Re: Geomag Kids good gift for 8-year-old boy?

Postby Peter Jepsen » Thu May 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello Lyle, welcome to the forum.

In general, from my experience:
* If he likes to play with LEGO, there's a big chance he'd like Geomag too.
* If it's someone's first Geomag set, I'd recommend a set of only rods and spheres, no panels.
* A panels set is better suited as a second or later set. The extra rods already accumulated and the confidence/practice gained from them will make the addition of the panels more enjoyable.
* You don't need a lot of Geomag rods to have fun constructing or playing with the magnetism, but in general, the older the 'child' (adults included), the more rods you'll appreciate. Get him a medium set, not the smallest, not the largest. If he likes it he can always wish for more.

Hope this helps you choose.
Peter Jepsen

Postby toylover » Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm

I really appreciate your response. You just saved me from buying the wrong set. I will purchase just rods and spheres. Follow-up question: Is Kids size (longer rods) ok, or should I try to find the Pro set?
toylover

Postby Peter Jepsen » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am

Legally the KIDS (long rods) are recommended from 3 years and up and the Pro (short rods) are only recommended from 14 years and up (Since 2008 or so) because of their size.
It's a bit of a gamble if you choose the short rods as they aren't on sale in the U.S. so he will have problems expanding his collection if he comes to like them. When he grows older, he will appreciate the short rods the most, so it's a difficult choice you're facing..
If you want to splurge, buy a KIDS set for the boy and a Pro set for his dad. They'll get to try out both sizes and they'll be encouraged to play together. Later, the boy can inherit the short rods from his dad if he likes those more..
Peter Jepsen

Return to General Geomag discussions