Magnets of various strength?

Magnets of various strength?

Postby Rue » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Hello,

on the cover of a box of 2nd hand Geomag I've noticed the term "+25% mehr Magnetkraft" which of course translates as "plus 25% magnetic force". It is a box with 120 pcs, blue magnets, blue panels and a DVD.

I'm now unsure, understandibly, what 2nd hand Geomag to look for, and assume that younger versions must have a stronger magnetic force than some older ones. Stronger magnets seem an improvement and desirable for taller structures. I therefore would like someone who truly knows to answer the following question:

HOW TO SPOT THE WEAKER / LESS POWERFUL VERSIONS BY DESIGN?

For example, are they discernible by the color of the Geomag logo, which at one point was red, and now is silver? Is it something else in the box Design, or the inner foam packaging? Can you name certain rod colors to look for?

I did try to look this up in this forum, and I did find the information that Kids and Pro versions are of equal strength today. Obviously, that's not what I mean. I'm just starting to collect this toy and would be thankful for an answer.
Rue

Re: Magnets of various strength?

Postby Peter Jepsen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 am

Hello Ruediger and welcome to the Forums.

The "25% more magnetic power" refers to the strength of Geomag compared to the competition, so no need to worry.
The rods you have now are identical in strength to all other Geomag rods (new or second hand) you might find and add to your collection.

The 25% sticker was added to a large shipment for Germany by request of the distributor, around 2005-2006 if I'm not mistaken. The competition from Magnetix and Supermag was far stronger then...
Peter Jepsen

Postby Rue » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Thank you very much for personally replying. Question answered, troubles gone, one more satisfied customer. I've enjoyed your work on flickr!

And I do think about buying new sets, not just 2nd hand.

It's just that for a start I've tried out this toy the cheapest way. Also, I believe in the aesthetic value of plain basic colors for my boys age 4 and 6: no need for stylish metal, or girlish pink. I wanted Geomag as a basic toy, like good old Lego bricks. I therefore chose used rods in plain red, yellow, blue, green, orange, white and black for them, and you're not offering precisely that at the moment, it seems. No "Kids" size necessary to me either.

Can't put it out of my hands though :-) And daddy WILL fall for that classy blue metallic one day. I keep getting thoughts like: "Wait a minute, if I had a couple hundred more, I could even ..." - Oh boy! You do know this is a drug you're selling, don't you?
Rue

Postby Peter Jepsen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 am

Yeah, it is addictive... :) For an adult fan, I'd say around 360 rods would be optimal..

Mind you, don't let your boys play unsupervised with the short rods. Although the small magnets inside cannot come out, the rods themselves can in theory be swallowed if one really wants to, so they are not recommended for children anymore. That is the reason the longer KIDS rods were introduced in 2009, those are impossible to swallow no matter what age.
Peter Jepsen

Postby AFKAN » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am

Rue wrote:I keep getting thoughts like: "Wait a minute, if I had a couple hundred more, I could even ..." - Oh boy! You do know this is a drug you're selling, don't you?

Oh you don't know how right you are :lol: That's why I've got nearly 5000 rods now :shock: :lol:

Peter Jepsen wrote:Yeah, it is addictive... :) For an adult fan, I'd say around 360 rods would be optimal...

LIAR!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFKAN

Re: swallowing rods

Postby Rue » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Yep. I've read about that safety reason, and about what may be advertised as a "toy" by EU law, and what not. That's legalese, if you ask me. Your advice is appreciated, though.

My kids are bright and disciplined, they regularly play chess on their own and even Parkers "Risk" by the rules - which is recommended from age 12. They would never ever swallow small Playmobil parts, for example. When they were age 2, I kept away the small wooden noodles from our childrens roleplay shop, because they do by appearance encourage playing to eat them after all.

What I'm saying is: you have to be responsible, and weigh these matters for yourself, after all.
Rue

Return to General Geomag discussions