Nubee question: polarity

Nubee question: polarity

Postby Analog Kid » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Ok, just brought home my first Geomag Pro set (only magnets could make me put down a Lego set after decades of addiction). Read the little booklet, and built a pyramid.

Here's my question: is there anyway to determine the polarity of the Geomag components by inspection? If I build a structure that has non-neutral spheres, how do I know which bars to flip? It doesn't seem correlated to the Geomag logo (which is in opposite directions on each side of the piece anyway). Each piece has a number and letter at opposite ends, but I'm not seeing consistency in that either.

A related question: is it possible to build a triangular pyramid with the internal bracing described in the instruction booklet, where all spheres are neutral? I've got inner spheres neutral, but I'm still hot on the points.

Thanks!
Analog Kid

Re: Nubee question: polarity

Postby Peter Jepsen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:11 am

Hello Greg and welcome to the Geomag Forums. I know well what you mean, I haven't touched my Legos now for years after I got my first set of Geomag.

You can only determine the polarity by feel, not by inspecting the molding of the bars. You'll have to feel the repulsion/attraction of the individual bars in a construction to determine which ones to flip. Use a loose sphere to determine which connections are already neutral (the sphere won't stick).

Regarding your last question, at any point where you have 1, 3, 5, 7 etc.. bars meeting on a sphere, you can't arrive at neutral. There'll always be one left over (ie. 2 North/1 South, 3 North/2 South) so any point with an uneven number of bars meeting can never become neutral.
Peter Jepsen

Re: Nubee question: polarity

Postby Analog Kid » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks-- I'd noticed the odd number of bars thing, but didn't know if it was a function of the number of bars at a node or in the design. There are 4 sets of 3-bar nodes, 12 total. I've been swapping bars around looking for a combination that closed the outer loops, so you just saved me a lot of hair pulling.
Analog Kid

Return to General Geomag discussions