Truncated Cuboctahedron of Cubes

Built something nice? Let the other Geomag fans see what you've done.

Re: Truncated Cuboctahedron of Cubes

Postby danielducov » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Thank you for the answer, I never saw before the part "Upload Attachment", but now, I will use it more often. So, this is the object you told on your message.
I hope you will see how I obtained a cube from this object on the next picture, I can not explain it in English. An image is more eloquent than my words, so here it is.
Attachments
Rhombicuboctaèdre antiprismes carrés.jpg
Rhombicuboctahedron with square antiprisms
Cube 2.jpg
Cube 1.jpg
Cube obtained from the precedent object
danielducov

Postby PolyClare » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am

karlhorton wrote:It's not quite stable like this - the open inner cube faces leave some flex, I guess.

Ah Karl, how right you are! I've corrected the note I wrote on the Geomag Wiki to read:
This is actually a relatively stable construction when using classic Geomag rods. This is because the direction that the inner cuboctahedron 'wants' to collapse is prevented by the minimum angular limit of the classic Geomag rods.

To experience for myself just how unstable the inner rhombicuboctahedron could be without those last six square panels I decided to build a rhombicuboctahedron from the Geomag Kids rods and panels. And I would build it without the attached cubes, for simplicity and clarity, and to avoid the help that the Geomag minimum angular limit gave. I was expecting that the instability should be magnified because of the the larger dimensions of the Geomag Kids rods.

So first I built the rhombicuboctahedron, only inserting square panels in locations adjacent to triangular faces. As I was building it, it was clear that it was unstable, and wanted to collapse. When I adjusted the faces and gently sat the completed construction on one of its unpanelled square faces, it held together enough to stand on its own. However, when I put it on a triangular face, the thing collapsed into a shape similar to a tetrahedron!

Image --> Image

I updated my post on the Geomag Wikia with the new pix and info.
PolyClare

Postby Wagyx » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:20 pm

Here are the 3D models.
I've added an alternative version of the Truncated Cuboctahedron of Cubes.
Attachments
by PolyClare.zip
(19.51 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Truncated Cuboctahedron of Cubes.png
Truncated Cuboctahedron of Cubes.png (44.78 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Truncated Cuboctahedron of Antiprisms.png
Truncated Cuboctahedron of Antiprisms.png (49.37 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Wagyx

Previous

Return to Show off your creations