Self introduction + An online viewer for Geomag models

Built something nice? Let the other Geomag fans see what you've done.

Self introduction + An online viewer for Geomag models

Postby Wagyx » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently been replying on some posts of this forum but I never took the time to introduce myself.

:!: TL;DR I am providing an online Geomag model viewer for all to enjoy: :!:
https://asliceofcuriosity.fr/blog/extra/polyhedra-viewer-geometry12.html
Use the up down arrows to cycle through models or use the search bar, details are on the bottom left corner.

I started to show a strong interest towards geometry during my doctorate 6 years ago, especially in the field of modular origami
for which you can see early models on my website https://asliceofcuriosity.fr.
Feel free to take time to ckeck it.

I am also very fond of Supermag, I had three different sets of the Supermag Magnetic Genius collection as a kid
and I bought many more 4 years ago to start experimenting and building larger models.
I've been posting about my findings on my website too.

:idea: What I am bringing to this community is the result of my work on polyhedra (aka Geomag models), I hope you will find it worthy.
With the help of Supermag and programming, I am in the process of developing tools to visualize, analyse, explore the realm of polyhedra.
This realm is infinite so I have been studying and documenting models classifications, generating methods, graph theory, symbolic computation, various algorithms, and so on to help me with this task.
Moreover, to keep track of my progress, I have decided, instead of only relying on pictures or drawings only, to collect or make 3D models
for all the polyhedra that I have found.

The resulting library contains over 3400 models :o across dozens of categories, most of them can be made with Geomag,
Supermag or whatever other set of rods and sticks you have at your disposal.
You may click on the info icon on the bottom left of the viewer to get more details.

Many Geomag realizations that are on display on this forum, the wiki or other picture galleries are not necessarily included
either because I have not modeled them yet or because they kind of break some rule that I have decided for:
Edges should be of unit length, faces should be flat and regular, the model should not self intersect and should form a closed surface.
You may find some exceptions in the database though.

The database and viewer are not my only work, I also have been thinking about other stuff: enumerating all possible models,
making my own 3D builder (like Great Stella or Hedron), produding PolyCaft a Minecraft-like game, naming models consistently, ...

:arrow: Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions and critics.

See you ;)
Last edited by Wagyx on Tue May 23, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wagyx

Re: Self introduction + An online viewer for Geomag models

Postby Peter Jepsen » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:42 am

Hello Wagyx, welcome!

Very impressive your modelled polyhedra collection and the viewer, many compliments!
I also received a forward of the message you sent to Geomag, one colleague already asked me if I'd seen your web site.

The heyday of the adult Geomag fans was back then the short Geomag rods were still in trade.
Nowadays this Forum is quiet but once in a while someone arrives and brings a flurry of new ideas and inspiration (like you just did).
The last such arrival was Eric who is also from France, he brought some amazing models to the public collection, of special notice the rain drops and hour glass models.

Again, welcome to the Geomag Forum :)
Peter
Peter Jepsen

Postby Wagyx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:52 am

Thank you very much Peter,

I got in touch with Eric privately and he is suggesting new functionalities to add to the viewer.
I've already made some changes to the interface and more is to come.
- You can now change the rods color to suit your taste.
- I've added a table with the vertex degree.
- In the hierarchy of categories, unwrapping the last nested category will display all model from this category.
It may be a bit long (1 or 2s) when there is a lot of models like for the fromSupermag category (378 models). It actually is the generation of the buttons that takes time.

I am pretty certain that you have many 3D models at your company since I've seen some renders from you on the wiki. Do you think it would be possible to share them ?
I was also thinking of making a pdf catalog of the models with more realistic renders.
Wagyx

Postby Wagyx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:45 pm

I have just added the long Geomag 58.0mm rods and put the GUI parameters in the URL so that you can share the link to a specific setting (rod color, model, ...).
I cannot guarantee this last functionality not to break in the future when I change or modify the interface though.
By the way, since the database is bound to be expanded or corrected, I need to figure a proper way to handle it or it will break the model indexing and thus any reference to it.
So this is far from being stable and long lasting yet. I need to take lessons on database management.
Thanks to Eric for the suggestions.
Wagyx

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:34 am

Thank you so much Wagyx for the tremendous work you've done!
It's a dream come true! So many models to wander among. A gold mine for new ideas.
And of course, thank you for taking the time to 3D model so many shapes.
It's so much easier to understand and build a model when you can freely move and rotate the 3D object that serves as the blueprint for your building project.

I think it can really facilitate the access of younger or beginners to more complex shapes.
And why not even attract owners of long rods to embark on more ambitious achievements.
Even for the most seasoned, it's still very practical to be able to turn the object in all directions to better understand how to build it. ;)

One of the huge advantages (among many others) of your 3D viewer is that it is cross-platform.
It of course works perfectly and hyper responsively on my PC, but It even works flawlessly on my 5 year old Android phone :

Screenshot_20230317-171804_Firefox_redim.jpg
(Two 22P90P3.C6 Lobel Frames opposed to achieve this model) ==> 3D model

Screenshot_20230317-171926_Firefox_redim.jpg
(The 585-Real Giant Hourglass) ==> 3D model

Screenshot_20230317-172003_Firefox_redim.jpg
(The same without faces) ==> 3D model
Last edited by Eric on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:42 am

Screenshot_20230317-175156_Firefox_redim.jpg
(The color picker) ==> 3D model

Screenshot_20230317-174619_Firefox_redim.jpg
(The 168-mid-size berlingot) ==> 3D model

Screenshot_20230317-174603_Firefox_redim.jpg
(Completely different look with a long rod rendering) ==> 3D model
Last edited by Eric on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:51 am

Even if you have long rods, try the viewer and start building with your Geomags!
The shapes look very nice with long rods. They seem lighter and more slender than with short rods.
But the downside is that they are significantly more fragile ... ;)

Screenshot_20230317-171618_Firefox_redim.jpg
(The 132-Water drop with long rods) ==> 3D model

Ah! and don't forget to try the up and down arrow keys to scroll through all the shapes.
For example, start from here and press the down arrow key 7 times. You will see the impact on the shape of having the pentagonal pyramids point inward or outward on the opposed Lobel frames.
Eric

Return to Show off your creations