Dodecahedron

Built something nice? Let the other Geomag fans see what you've done.

Dodecahedron

Postby jowidi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:51 pm

I've finally collected enough geomag to build some of the large polyhedra in uniform color. This is my first go at a dodecahedron:

12hedron.jpg
large dodecahedron

It's not easy to see how it is built because I decided to cap all the openings. Here is a view of one of the 12 faces (I exchanged the blue square panels with red ones after taking this photo):

12hedron_base.jpg
dodecahedron base

If I ever plan to move this across my room I'll try to make a video for Karl ;-)
jowidi

Re: Dodecahedron

Postby mary808 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 pm

This is really slick, I love it.
mary808

Postby mary808 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 pm

OMG dowidi, as a side note, your avatar is great <3
mary808

Postby karlhorton » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Wim - I'd love to see you try to move it! I generally build on a
big board now, so there is some hope of getting models up on display.

For those who enjoy seeing beautiful things disintegrate .... here is
what can happen when you move big models.

metadodeca.jpg
The meta-dodecahedron in pure silver and clear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlhorton/3269693946/in/set-72157613570048403
karlhorton

Postby Wim » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:16 am

I'd have to build it before I can move it :) But I'm sure Johannes will give the moving a shot too.

Too bad I can't make the thing out of silver. Maybe I'll try Mary's color scheme...

Edit: LOL. I just clicked on the link and saw the video. I've never seen anything Geomag disintegrate quite that spectacularly. It fell completely apart.

Now I'm curious to see if I can move it like Peter suggested... Grr... You guys make me want to build stuff!

Edit: After running the calculations, I already know I can't build it out of a single color (panels or bars). I figured I could do yellow (or red) and metallic blue, with red panels but it looks like that's not going to happen. I only have around 75 red pentagons. And in the order of 80-90 clear pentagons and a few yellows. If I pull apart my dekopanels I think I can do it, since that will be an additional 60-70 clear ones. I never actually counted my panels so I'm not 100% sure I have 240 pentagons. Since I still have 12 more panels coming in within a week it may be enough to give me what I need.
Wim

Postby Wim » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:58 pm

My version of the Dodecahedron:

DSC00102sm.jpg
Dodecahedron

DSC00112sm.jpg
Dodecahedron

DSC00111sm.jpg
Dodecahedron

A few notes:
- I have 3 clear, 7 red and about 8 yellow pentagons left. I did not think I'd ever need 240 pentagons for a project.
- I could have made the last 'bar' out of blue metallic as well, but 60 bars were tied up in another project at the time of building.
- I have tried to move it using Peter's suggested "arms through" technique. I made it up half an inch before the first bars got dislodged. It's now on a wooden board so I can move it, but I fully expect any attempts at moving it without the board to yield a similar result to Karl's attempt.
- My 5 year old daughter LOVES the video of it falling apart in Karl's arms. Last night she was watching it over and over, and this morning again for a while.
Wim

Postby cappells » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 pm

I wonder if reinforcing with triangle panels would aid in your moving attempts.

/Admiring with jealous envy over Karl's and Wim's clear panels. :shock:
cappells

Postby Wim » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:40 am

The different 'rods' that Johannes uses may help. I could add 4 rods for additional reinforcement, although that negates the method of carrying it by putting my arms through it. Triangles may help, and it's worth a try I suppose. Let's see... 6 per side, 6 for the top... Looks like 18 triangles per 'rod', so for 30 'rods' I'll need 540 triangles. Not sure if I have that many... It's going to be colorful :)

Although I suppose I could just put them in the load bearing 'rods'. How far do I have to carry it in order to beat Karl's record? :lol:

Edit: Karl gets to keep the record. Triangles didn't help given the load distribution. Instead I lifted it up using the wooden board I had underneath it.

The wooden board had a bit too much flex and I could not keep it from bending a little bit. That little bit was enough and it collapsed in my arms, only a couple of inches away from where I started...
DSC00123sm.jpg
This used to be a dodecahedron.
Wim

Postby jowidi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 am

I could not get myself to do the 'carry it around' experiment yet. Now the thing is sprouting buckyballs :)

12hedron_bucky.jpg
Dodecahedron sprouting buckyballs

There went my last silver rods, and some buckyballs are still missing - so much for the uniform color. I am really surprised that it does not collapse with all that additional weight.

Here is a look from the inside:

12hedronInside2.jpg
Capped dodecahedron from inside

@ mary808: I'm glad that you like my avatar. That is the less well known brother of Ming the Merciless - they call him Mong the Magnetoid ;)
jowidi

Postby Wim » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:47 pm

I like it!

I'd rebuild it to do the same, but it'll have to wait until I have some more panels (and possibly a few more blue metallic rods, or otherwise obtain so many of another color that I can do it).

I suggest NOT carrying it around. It's a lot of mess to pick up...
Wim

Next

Return to Show off your creations